Antonio Gonzalez


Finca Nueva Montaña is nestled in a forest in the region in the Casillas community in the department of Santa Rosa, Guatemala, where Antonio Medina and his wife Eby Arcely Samayoa process sorne of the finest coffees in the region. The farm’s name is in honor of the work they’ve done together to transform the land. Almost 31 years ago, when Antonio decided to become a coffee producer, this area was a pasture.

Over time, he transformed it into a coffee farm, improving the vegetation, growing coffee, hence the name: New Mountain or Nueva Montaña. However, before this, Antonio’s passion for coffee began thanks to his friends who encouraged him to learn more about this coffee cultivation.

He recalls how the first year didn’t go well, and he had sorne losses, but he persisted, and the following year things went better because he started to learn and educate himself about coffee production and processing. For 5 years now, Antonio and Elby have focused on specialty coffee, and over these years, they’ve mastered their processes and techniques, which translates into outstanding quality.

Currently, the entire production of the farm is processed as natural. This is due to the lack of water in the region, but also to the excellent weather conditions for slow drying. Antonio and Elby tell how they focus on collecting only ripe coffee. Every day, at the end of the harvest, the cherries are placed in nylon bags for 48 to 58 hours, which limits the oxygen content and allows for natural fermentation to happen. After this step, the coffee is taken to the drying a rea. 100% of the coffee is dried on the beds in an average time of 16 to 20 days (about 3 weeks).

Antonio shares he doesn’t have a favorite variety, but ali varieties planted have adapted well. The Catuai variety accounts for 70% of the crop on the farm, but they’ve been introducing other varieties such as Pacamara, Gesha and Catimor, which account for the remaining 30% on the farm. Lastly, Antonio also points out that the farm and their coffee are different and special because of two fundamental points, namely the different altitudes and varieties adaptation to the region, and the nutrient-rich soil they have.

Farm Varieties
Total Farm Area

37,8 Hectares

Area in Coffee

31,5 Hectares






Santa Rosa


1880 MASL

Technical info

January to April.

Processing Method

Natural, Washed and Honey.


Gravilea, Ingas, Guachipilin.

Drying Method

Beds or strollers or drying module for 18 days.