Jose Angel Rivera

FINCA EL AGUACATE STORY

Jose Angel’s journey in the coffee industry has been marked by various challenges and setbacks. More than 25 years ago, he drew inspiration from the only two individuals producing coffee in his region. Eager to explore and identify a viable crop for his locale, he made the decision to cultivate coffee on a portion of his father’s farm. It was during this endeavor that he realized coffee held immense potential as a profitable source of income. However, circumstances took an unexpected turn when his father passed away, and the family’s properties were divided among the heirs. Unfortunately, his brother ended up with ownership of the farm, prompting Jose Angel to reconsider his strategy.

Determined to pursue his coffee dream, Jose Angel resolved to acquire another piece of land, which is now the home of Finca El Aguacate. Since then, coffee cultivation has become the sole livelihood for his entire family. While he had heard about specialty coffee and its potential for higher returns years earlier, it wasn’t until 2016 that he decided to explore this market further. The initial step in this journey involved educating his family and workers about the necessary process adjustments. They needed to change their coffee harvesting methods, make refinements in the wet milling process, and upgrade the drying facilities. These modifications significantly contributed to the enhanced quality of their coffee and allowed the family to command better prices for their extra efforts. Jose Angel takes great pride in the achievements they’ve made.

At Finca El Aguacate, coffee is always harvested when they are ripe, regardless of whether it will be used for honey, natural, or washed processing. For washed coffees, the cherries undergo a floatation process before depulping, followed by 24 hours of fermentation and subsequent washing. This 24-hour fermentation period is consistent across all processing methods. Approximately 70% of the coffee harvested on the farm is Pacamara, with the remaining 30% divided between Catuai and Sampacho varieties.

Jose Angel’s future plans revolve around continued dedication to improving the quality of his coffee. Despite challenges, such as the shortage of labor, he remains committed to doing his best and furthering his coffee-growing enterprise.

Farm Varieties
Size
Total Farm Area

2.5 Hectares

Area in Coffee

2.4 Hectares

Location
Country

El Salvador

Municipality

La Palma

Department

Chalantenango

Elevation

1,582 MASL

Technical info
Harvest

January – March.

Processing Method

Honey.
Washed.
Natural.

Shade

Guachipilin.

Drying Method

Beds or strollers or drying module for 18 days.