Jose Maria Balcarcel


Jose María is an enthusiastic producer who began selling his coffee to the specialty market a year ago. He has been growing coffee and corn, beans, and tomatoes for many years to generate additional income.

His journey into the specialty coffee market began as a way to improve his income and find better markets for his coffee as he has been focused on volume and commercial quality grades Jose Maria says he is in an educational and learning journey as he becomes more involved with all things related to producing high-quality coffee, yet as he as good process already implemented, transiting hasn’t been as complicated, but instead has leverage on this experience to achieve his goals of producing quality coffee. He works hand-in-hand with his son Kenneth, who helps him with agronomic farm management and post-harvest operations such as processing and drying.

His farm, El Soyate, located in the department of Progreso, has an ideal climate for growing coffee. Due to the elevation and temperature, he performs dry fermentation (without water), typically completed within 24 to 36 hours, depending on the weather. He also dries the coffee on raised beds or concrete terraces, drying it for an average of 12 days.

Currently, Jose María grows varieties like Catuai, representing 30% of cultivated area; the remaining 70% are Bourbon and Caturra, varieties that have adapted well and have outstanding quality.

Farm Varieties
Total Farm Area

7 Hectares

Area in Coffee

7 Hectares




San Antonio la paz


El progreso


1,400 MASL

Technical info

December – March

Processing Method



Ingas, Madrecacao

Drying Method

Beds or strollers or drying  module for 10 days.